Thursday, May 15, 2008

Snorkeling with the Sharks

I went snorkeling today, and met Sue, an experienced diver who agreed to protect me from all that could go wrong on a snorkel expedition, and I must say, she did watch my back, and she stuck her head up from time to time to make sure I was OK. Most kind.

Belize has 174 miles of coastline all of which has a barrier reef that is part of the second largest coral reef system in the world (behind Australia's Great Barrier Reef). We started by pulling up to a line of buoys:
Photobucket

OK everyone, lets get ready to snorkel!
Photobucket

No, really, get your flippers on!
Photobucket

At this point both the guide and Sue immediately say "Oh, they won't bother you." And in fairness, they were right. The guide even caught one in his arms for us to touch:
Photobucket

Nurse sharks feel like they have scales, almost like a snake. The guide said they feel like sandpaper, and I would agree with that too. In any case they have rough skin. I have no idea what their teeth feel like, and I will gladly leave that a mystery for the remainder of my life.

In the water we also got to touch some sting rays that did not have any stingers. They feel very soft, and almost slimy. The guide was practically hugging one in the water and had his hand in it's mouth. He had a kind of slow feeding tube to keep the fish around.

Going through the reef was cool too. Snorkeling is a nice experience. First you are afraid to get in the water, but once you are in, you are taken over by distraction. It is another world down there with so many cool schools of fish to see. Plus bigger fish like barracuda. We got to see and follow 4 sea turtles for a while which was just great. For the most part, snorkeling is like all the nature programs, but "more real", and you tend to notice more. As you drift about you go from shallow to deep waters, sometimes abruptly. At one point we approached a steep cliff that was lined with coral. It is the closest I think I will get to the feeling of flying.

When you snorkel, there is always a current on you, and when you go from shallow to deep the temperature can really change abruptly. Our guide would often take dips down to the bottom floor. We even came upon a small cave and he swam right in. I tried to follow, but let me say this: stick your head down 4-5 feet under the ocean and you will feel sharp pain in your ears. Very sharp. Sue and the guide said I should hold my nose and blow air out my ears, but the thought was too upsetting. If I am going to lose hot air, it is going to be when I am talking, thank you very much!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That water looks gorgeous. (Not sure I'd be brave enough to jump in with all those occupants though!)

FongC9 said...

Looks great, I know diving is great(I dived before), but with all shark-like fishes around, I think I'd pass! But for the ear pain, you need to keep holding and blow air to ears often or, get used to it! hahaha~