Monday, May 12, 2008

fish fillet

Ambergris has a very small town atmosphere. You tend to see, or bump into the same people again and again...I have met and made friends with a grocery store owner here now. We chat back and forth..."I need to be patient, if I rush, I won't get anything done" he told me today. This is basically "haste makes waste" and well, it is a way of life here I think...

Later in the evening a crowd gathered as someone had caught a big dorado(mahi-mahi), I don't know how much it weighed, but it was one of those fish that was as tall as the guy who caught it when they hung it up. After weighting it they gutted and filleted it right there on the dock. The guts attracted a 2-3 large sting rays and kids gathered to hold guts close to the surf as to draw the sting rays closer. After that they picked up the mud of the surf and made it into balls, which they threw at the rays...

A lady I met told me that I could volunteer at one of the schools here, and possibly the library. I will go check out the library tomorrow and might try the schools later on. To be honest, I don't know if I have the heart for it, but I think I should at least try.

No comments: