Saturday, May 10, 2008

Lists

Getting airlifted out of your country and finding yourself in a completely different place is usually a shock to the system, and leaving Cary N.C. to arrive in Ambergris Caye, Belize is no exception.

Leaving your environment forces you to realize all the dependencies you had in your home. (i.e. getting shot out into space would suddenly make you realize just how important air is to you). I mention this since I am now going to list all the differences that have come to my attention in my first ~18 hours here:


  • Tap water is not recommended, which makes drinking water $1.50 a gallon, and I used to complain about Cary water prices...
  • I also used to complain about no sidewalks in Cary, but the situation is much the same here. Not that big of a deal since most everyone drives golf carts.
  • People are really, really laid back. Really. I found out that I am a work-a-holic.(if you guys can believe it!) My brain kept on telling me that I needed to be doing something, that I am lazy...though what else would a work-a-holic say?
  • Electrical outlets, electricity, cell phones, Internets, all this stuff is now scarce. This goes with backpacking and staying in hostels instead of hostels or resorts. You are forced to slow down. Today my mission was to call home and get drinking water. When was the last time that took you most of the afternoon?
  • Then again, beach is like 30 seconds away from everywhere, so everything has its pluses and minuses...


Tropical fruits, hand-made arepas, watching Lebanese t.v. in Lebanese owned stores... is all in there too...

2 comments:

jesusfuentes said...

Here a perfect quote for the first two days of this adventure!

"Experience is what you get when you don’t get what you want!"

homewithjo said...

You're right I would disagree with the workaholic title. Rather, you are a Grade A Thinker, IMO.