Sunday, October 5, 2008

Ich bin ein Frankfurter

It was difficult not to compare flying in to Frankfurt with flying in to Belize. The landscape below revealed misty mountains in contrast to the aqua blue waters of the Caribbean.






It was nice to see the Frankfurt Airport again though, replete with a bounty of Lufthansa jet planes:






When arriving at the airport there is a notable presence of U.S. military. Most of them look like civilians, but it is their chatter about where they are going to get deployed "Afghanistan or Iraq?" and the occasional camouflage bag which tips you off. It is difficult to ignore the military force here in general. Flying in to Germany it is hard not to think of WWII movies. On the plane I imagined what it would be like to be on a plane and have to parachute down into Germany to fight a war. I don't know how all those soldiers found the courage. It is amazing!


The people in the military that I met were kind, cheerful, and friendly. They had a business as usual attitude about arriving, and helped me get on the right train into Frankfurt:






After getting slightly lost in the subway, and having two Germans ask me in German which was the right subway line for them I finally found my feet and my stop, and exited at Alte Oper, home to a restored opera house which is at the heart of my neighborhood here in Frankfurt:






Once settled I turned back around to explore the city on a Sunday. Most shops are closed on Sundays in Frankfurt, but there is still plenty of life on the streets. People out with family for a walk, or meeting friends to take some drinks...
I found the Frankfurt Stock Exchange:






Then listened to a marching band at the central square:






Then checked out the fire department fundraiser which they need in order to pay for their Mercedes Fire Trucks.






Then went along the walkway by the river main:






Then got a beer along the river and gave a toast to this great and social city, a big city with a little city charm, it felt to me.







Ich bin ein Frankfurter!

1 comment:

FongC9 said...

You reminded me the trip I went, it's great to know nothing, just sitting somewhere with some (unknown) people, doing nothing, watching people passing by, etc etc... I got lost few times in Germany too, but it's the fun part on backpacking :P what I did was make sure I had the note: "Please show or bring me to airport" in German... hahaha, isn't that funny? (in fact, I had similar notes in hand for train stations in different languages!)
Hope you have fun in there and I'm going Hong Kong till early Nov ~ looking forward to it! take care ~