Friday, October 10, 2008

Back to School

I am enrolled in a language school here in Frankfurt, and it is different being back in a formal class setting after a break of 5 years. Now I see the class only in terms of what I want to learn, and the teacher as more of a partner than an authority.

There are plenty of times where the teacher will be talking and boredom sets in. There is also the general fatigue of sitting in the same place for an hour and half and being obliged to pay attention to a static subject. It is kind of unnatural.

In my view, the most productive thing that can happen in such moments is to try create subsequent unexpected lessons. There is a Japanese girl in my class who is meticulous, tidy, and driven. She never leans back in her chair. NEVER! All the other students take moments, often whole minutes, to sit back and lean in their chair. Try to keep a straight posture for 90 minutes and see how you do, don't mind the light burning pain in your spine. I found sitting up straight helps reduce daydreaming, and keeps you focused on the class. Amazing! Just amazing! What other lessons are in the periphery?

No comments: